So after ruffling/ironing all the tulle I needed to make the basque and panty. For those who do not know a basque is basically a yoke or large waist band that is attached to the panty. I basically used the shape of a cheerleader’s skirt yoke and worked around that. For the panties I had a swimsuit pattern I used for the panty part.
Now a proper tutu basque and pant should be made from strong, non-stretchy fabric. Since mine is just for a costume and non-dance purpose I decided to make the thing out of spandex. In the end it turned out more to be like a practice tutu but is still completely fine. So I used basic white spandex from Jo-Anns (with lots of coupons) and nude lining. After sewing together and adding the elastic it looked like this:
Please excuse the awkward yoga pants/mirror picture but you get the general idea.
So after that was assemble it was time for the attaching of the tulle to the actually panty. I would not say it was extremely difficult just time consuming (and needle consuming). Obviously a nice classical tutu is quite large. So trying to sew it on my tiny sewing machine was hard but I still managed to complete the task. I started by marking with a fabric pen where I wanted my layers:
After marking I pinned and gathered each section of tulle by layer. I made about a 3 inch overlap on the part where the two ends of the tulle would meet. Sewed them down with a zigzag stitch. Repeated for 10 layers.
Ahhh! So much tulle!!
So after all the layers were sewn on, it looked like this:
Yay It looks like a tutu 😀 Now to tackle the extreme puffy tutu by tacking/quilting the layers together. First I ironed all of the layers (yay more ironing). Then to tack the tutu I basically started at the bottom and worked my way up. I used an upholstery needle with two strands of heavy duty pink thread. I started at the second from the bottom layer went up to the first layer. After this I pulled the needle down to the third from the bottom layer then back up to the second, down to the fourth, etc. I did this for layer 1 through 5 from the bottom. I did layers 5-8 in the same manner. I left the top two layers untacked because it was extremely see through. For a proper tutu you would need to tack all the layers down so they don’t fly everywhere when the dancer is performing. I am extremely proud of the end result though. I never made a tutu before and it looks pretty good in my eyes. Here is the end product:
Thanks for reading 😀 Happy cosplaying and sewing!